Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sweet Summer Treats

This past weekend was the Memorial Day long weekend for the US, and since it was my very first one, I figured I might as well do something fun! We were kindly invited by our friends over to their house for a bbq, so I offered to bring the burgers and dessert. I made my own hamburger meat of course, because I like buying a higher quality ground beef, -which just means I know the beef hasn't been fed any hormones and the cuts of beef used are clearly labeled. It's easier and cheaper to buy pre-made patties, but I trust myself more than I trust a factory that churns out patties using unknown cuts of beef. Plus I honestly believe my burgers are yummy and simple! All you need for 10 burgers is 2 lbs. of ground beef, 2 tbsp. Montreal Steak Spice (or to taste), 1/2 cup bread crumbs, and 3 eggs. The pièce de résistance of the weekend though, is something that my husband and I collaborated on: Jell-O Orange Slices! I got the idea from a friend of mine from San Diego who loves to eat! Thanks Di!

I am proud to say that although this project was my idea, most of the work was done by my wonderful husband! He sliced 6 Navel oranges in half (one was sacrificed for tasting), scooped out the insides, stored the pulp in a Ziploc bag, and even found a way to mend a punctured rind! He was also a superstar at cutting the actual wedges! In case you were wondering, we transported the halves in my trusty two-tiered cupcake carrier and sliced them on premises at the bbq. They were a hit of course, who doesn't love Jell-O?



To be used for strawberry-orange smoothies this week! Yum.


Will you choose the red slice, or the blue slice, Neo?



Can also be enjoyed frozen!

2 comments:

  1. Brendan actually ate fruit!? This is a first.
    Way to go. This all looks so festive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheer brilliance.

    BTW, your suspicion of ground beef is well founded. Have you heard about this concept called "meat glue". Check it out, you may never eat in restaurants again (at least in Australia).

    http://www.dump.com/2011/04/14/meat-glue-secret-video/

    ReplyDelete