Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Chipped in Seattle

I'm somewhat at a loss for words right now. I had a dentist appointment this morning because I inadvertently chipped my molar and needed a filling! I realize how this situation potentially leaves me vulnerable to jokes about my cooking, but I have no fear. I'm made of tougher stuff than that, my friends! I have been numb now for three and a half hours and I'm starving! I'm hoping that the coffee I'm drinking from a straw will suppress my appetite long enough to tide me over until the novocaine wears off. The fact that I am perusing my cooking pictures really isn't helping me at all. For instance:

Mmmmm, pork chops.


Why am I doing this to myself?! You're hungry I bet, cause I know I am.

Mario Batali Milanese Porkchops
  • 4 center-cut pork chops, 1 inch thick
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup fresh bread crumbs, lightly toasted
  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
  • 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges, seeds removed
  •  parsley flakes for prettiness (I added this myself)

    1 Remove the bones from the pork chops. (I didn't bother, and no that is not how I chipped my tooth) Using a meat mallet, carefully pound the pork chops until they are uniformly 1/4 inch thick. Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Dip each chop into the beaten eggs, allowing excess to drip off. Dredge each chop in the bread crumbs and set on a plate.
    2 In a 14- to 16-inch sauté pan, heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil over medium heat until just smoking. Add the butter and allow it to foam for 10 to 15 seconds. Place the chops in the pan and cook until light golden brown on one side, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, carefully turn the chops and cook on the other side until light golden brown, about 5 more minutes. Add more oil if necessary, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, to avoid scorching the breading. 

    Serve immediately with a wedge of lemon! I served mine with brown rice and salad.

    My trusty OXO meat mallet.


No comments:

Post a Comment