Thursday, January 20, 2011

OMG Yum!

I have always loved the idea of stuffed foods. Stuffed peppers, stuffed mushroom caps, deviled eggs (my best friend makes the best ones). They are always so delicious, I never met a stuffed food that I didn't like but I always thought it would be very complicated for some reason. I came across this recipe from a Laura Calder cook book that my mother-in-law and sister-in-law gave me for my shower, and soon discovered that it was pretty straightforward. These are incredible! My husband quickly stated that he LOVED them, and when he was finished eating it, wished he could eat another. Since I made humongous dinner-sized ones, that wasn't really advisable. That being said, you can make many appetizer-sized stuffed tomatoes by using smaller tomatoes or main course sized ones using larger tomatoes. Seriously, this is delicious and you need to make them. They will make you happy! -I think I may have found my go-to dinner appetizer!

This picture doesn't do this stuffed tomato justice!
Stuffed Tomatoes:
  • 12 medium Tomatoes (the recipe maybe halved, even quartered)
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 2 lbs. ground Beef or a combination of ground beef, veal and pork
  • Olive Oil
  • 1 Onion minced
  • 2½ Cloves Garlic minced
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
  • 1 handful chopped fresh Parsley or dried herbes de Provence
  • grated Parmesan
  1. Slice the tops off tomatoes. Hollow out the insides (reserve for something else, like sauce or salad.
  2. Pat the tomatoes dry inside with a paper towel, season with salt, and leave upside down on paper towel to drain for about 20 minutes.
  3.  Preheat the oven to 350°F
  4.  Heat the olive oil in a sauté pan.Gently sauté the onions and garlic, until soft, about 10 minutes.
  5. Add the meat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until fully done.
  6. Mix in the bread crumbs. Stir in the mustard, parsley or herbes de Provence, and Parmesan.
  7. Sliver a bit off the bottom of each tomato so they sit flat without wobbling.
  8. Stuff the tomatoes. Set in a baking pan. Bake until the tomatoes are soft and hot, about 30 minutes.

1 comment: