Monday, January 24, 2011

Seattle "Fashion"

When I'm not in the apartment, I am often wandering the streets of Seattle, people-watching, drinking coffee (naturally) and just getting to know my new city. The very first thing that struck me about Seattleites, was that a lot of people still dress like it's 1994. My husband, who doesn't give a crap about fashion or looking good as long as what he's wearing is clean, looks downright fancy and preppy in his uniform of: t-shirt, jeans, hoodie, jacket and sneakers, compared to the denizens of Seattle, many of whom kind of look homeless. I'm pretty sure the look is intentional and from four months of observation, this seems to just be Seattle style. On Saturday, we stumbled upon a group of Kurt Cobain clones. They probably weren't even born when he died!
I loved him, but he looks smelly.
Don't get me wrong, I love my adopted city and it's very friendly and kind people. There are some fashionable ladies here, it just makes me sad that they are so few and far between. I have decided to pay homage to Seattle fashion by partially emulating their style in my own Lilibeth way. I've noticed that many girls here wear flat, knee-length boots. They are comfortable, practical and cute so I got a pair of Enzo Angiolini Zeldens. Cross-body bags are also de rigueur here, so I wear my black leather Rebecca Minkoff MAC. And my Seattle pièce de résistance is a pair of jeans that intentionally have rips that I am comfortable with. Just for Kurt!


Ok, this is as grungy as I get.

I went to the dentist last week and told him I was from Toronto. He said that he loved Toronto, and that the people there "dress very, very well". *Sigh* 

No comments:

Post a Comment