Monday, February 7, 2011

Super Bowl Wings: Yay Packers!

When I was growing up in Montreal, my parents had a repertoire of dishes that became family classics and we would cycle them, like I'm sure every family does. One of those meals was bbq chicken wings. Last Friday in the spirit of Super Bowl Sunday, I thought I'd make some! Only instead of the Lofranco recipe, I used the Wilson one. Once again, I had some serious issues with the dead bird: plucking feathers (don't I pay to have it completely de-feathered?), breaking bones, general slimyness, and what were these "tips" that everyone says I'm supposed to get rid of?? Well, I figured out what the tips were by my incredible powers of deduction, and I was hungry, so this propelled me through the gross bits. They turned out super awesome and flavour-packed, I served them with baby carrots (that the buns partook of) and store bought dip, but you know what I didn't expect? That I would miss eating them with rice and a side of sliced up tomatoes in a bit of salty fish sauce. Hmm, it seems that I am very Filipino after all.

What a great, easy Friday night meal!

Yummy Chicken Wing Recipe:

15 chicken wings
1/2 cup sugar
3 tbsp. cornstarch
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp pepper
2/3 cup water
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup soy sauce

Rinse your chicken wings in cold water, pat dry. Cut the wings at the joints, and snip off the tips (which may or may not still have some stray feathers).

On a baking sheet covered in foil, I actually broiled them for 5 minutes on each side, to create a crispy, almost fried texture to the skin, then I set the temperature to 400 degrees F and baked them for 10 more minutes.

Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, mix together all your ingredients, stirring it constantly on medium heat until it thickens and boils. Brush this mixture over your wings (both sides). Bake for 35 more minutes. Devour. 

For a more Filipino experience, serve with steamed fragrant rice and sliced up tomatoes in a bowl that has a couple splashes of fish sauce in it. Oh, and though it does take some practice, eat the rice with your fingers, it tastes better!

No comments:

Post a Comment